Today our task is to research how to become a foley and sound engineer, and how they are completely different.

A sound engineer is responsible first of all for recording voices or background noise which can also be ambient noise. Sound engineers are also responsible for recording all of the sound on set perfectly, as well as being clear for the audience or the film crew to hear through the preview with headphones. However post production their responsibilities are balancing, mixing, editing and enhancing the audio.

Other responsibilities include:

  • Consulting with the producers and performers to determine what is needed.
  • Selecting, positioning and adjusting where the sound recording equipment is and making sure the audio equipment is picking up the sound from the actors, musicians or group.
  • Being able to apply knowledge of using the sound equipment
  • Being able to record the sounds onto a digital tape or hardrive
  • Being able to maintain sound equipment

A foley engineer is different than a sound engineer but they fall into the same category.

A foley engineer is like a sound technician, and they help control the sound being produced by the foley artist for it to be able to fit within the scenes that are being shown, while the artists are creating certain sounds for it to within that scene. To become a foley engineer, you need to become a sound engineer. A sound engineer is more specific rather than a foley engineer is more of a specialist of sound.

To become a sound or foley engineer, you need to have some background knowledge on media, theatre and how it all works. As well as having experience behind the knowledge of media. To be more specific in certain media educational paths, going to university and being a freelance sound engineer will help you be a step ahead of where you want to go within the sound behind the media content being created. Apart from being a sound or foley engineer, there are other sound jobs within the media roles that you can also be such as a sound mixer, a sound designer, sound operator and being a sound editor.

There are certain courses you can study at university that are within those areas of studying sound, but you can also take apprenticeships or interns to help you get some experience and knowledge on media sound.

There are courses such as:

BA (Hons) Music, Media and Sound which teaches you all about the different areas within sound editing, sound recording etc and you can study this at Edge Hill University.

Media, Music and Sound

Sound Design BA/BSc Hons which is focuses on music production and creative sound. You will be taught about sound editing, recording and processing different sounds. You can study this at South Bank University based in London.


Prospects (no date) (Accessed on 5th of October 2016)

Indeed (no date)

(Accessed on 5th of October 2016)

Edge Hill (no date)

(Accessed on 5th of October 2016)

ISBU (no date)

(Accessed on 5th of October 2016)